Saturday, June 6, 2009

Cricket Fever

Cricket in India is no less than a religion. People worship it day in and day out. I have seen so many ardent fans of cricket in my own group with no gender difference. As a kid i had the privilege of being raised in a big joint family with a grandpa, four uncle & aunts, 8 kids, all together. And in those days, if by any chance the cricket season started there would be nothing else allowed to be aired other than CRICKET. Guys would eat, sleep, and move just around that one black and white TV with all eyes over it. Those high5's, those jumps, those sitting on the toes, those boos. I remember all of those. That was when i had my so called cricket education!! Go out of the house, and i would find my brothers always with a bat and ball, screaming, shouting, yelling at each other for that one wicket or that one run. I call it real fun.

Through the years many things have changed. Over families have moved apart and few people have left and joined our sweet little family but one thing that has never changed is the amount of excitement that bumps up when we all watch cricket together. I always wondered if it was because of the game or was it within us. And then i thought that the combination is good :)

I don’t call myself to be a great cricket devotee. But sure, i know what series is going on off lately. And make sure that i do watch if it’s "My team INDIA” playing. And somehow I happened to find out that this one game has changed the very face of my country so much. It has now become one of the most happening industries in India. It generates more than a $1.5 billion and that’s a whole lot of money I guess. The BCCI is the richest cricket association of all the countries that surely adds to the cheering. The game which stated as a once a while event now changed, that it has a Twenty20 or an IPL going on every now and then. The game which had a sunil gavaskar, a kapil dev, a sachin tendulkar, a ganguly has been added with many other awesome players who have contributed so much to the game. Allz good as long as the sponsors are happy making loads of money, the players pockets full both playing and posing themselves off to the advertisers and as long as India keeps winning :) Awaiting for some spectacular T20 series… Happy Cricketing!!

2 comments:

Krishna Chaitanya Emani said...

Not fair Souju. You never mentioned about the cricket in our appartments and how we used to sweat it out to impress you :-). Just kidding. Anyways good post and well said. Cricket is definitely a religion but I hope people dont turn into maniacs about the game.

Chaitanya.

Soujanya.. said...

i did mention that it was some time back when i was a kid... but im suprised when you say that you did some thing to impress me... when was that... [:P]