Sunday, January 25, 2009

A shoulder

Was going through a post in another blog and couldn’t resist from not posting it in mine. It’s a small story that goes about this way.....

A mom asks her small kid what he thinks was the most important part of his body??
The kid listens to the questions. Thinks for a while and says 'my ears mom'. Who assumed sound to be very important for all humans. Mom shrugs off saying "this is not the right answer" "there are many deaf people who found ways to survive though"

Time passed by and the kid came across the same question again, and now he thought himself to be a lil wise enough to answer the question with all the maturity he thought he had gained and then he answered "Mom, sight is very important to us. So i guess the most important part should be our eyes" Mom refutes saying “you are learning very fast. But there are many blind people leading life. I’m afraid that’s not the right answer"

Years passed by and he kept trying different answers, stumped all the time.

and then

suddenly his grandfather died one day. Everyone was in deep pain, his dad was in all grief. He saw his dad crying, which was not usual at all. And during his time to say a final good bye to his grandpa his mom asked him again "What is the most important part of your body?" he was all shocked to listen to the question at that time. He didn’t expect it. He always thought it was a game between the two.

And then his mom understood the confusion on his face "This question is very important. It shows that you have really lived in your life. For every body part you gave me in the past, I have told you were wrong. But today is the day you need to learn this important lesson."

Looked into her eyes filled with tears and then she told “the most important part of your body is your Shoulder" the boy asks is it because it holds up my head? And then she replies “No, it’s because it can hold your friends or a loved one’s head when they cry. Everybody needs a shoulder to cry on sometime in life. I only hope that you have enough love and friends that you will always have a shoulder to cry on when you need it."

And then I was silent…
Silent for a long time

This story just touched my heart in a deep way. I always took shoulder to be JUST a body part of mine, but I appreciate its importance now. I look back and I’m so glad that in this journey called life I’ve successfully bagged so many for myself. If tomorrow, i want to cry I’m sure that I will have my friends shoulder waiting for me. It’s so strange that throughout our life we engross our self with so many worldly comforts and luxuries which can all be optional, and forget the subtle things that can bring so much of difference to our living…

2 comments:

Srujan said...

very touching! Never thought so deep! nice work.. keep writing! :)

Anonymous said...

wow very nice..i guess next best thing is tears which will help you count your frds or relations.. so how many do you have...